World

New Zealand: Christchurch Terror Attack Suspect Charged With Murder

NEWS WORLD INDIA | 0
2812
| March 16 , 2019 , 16:11 IST

In the wake of New Zealand’s Christchurch terror attack, 28-year-old suspected as Brenton Harrison Tarrant was charged with one count of murder on Saturday. He will be remanded in custody without plea until April 5.

The attacker, live streamed for about 17 minutes from his rampage towards the two mosques, Harrison the suspected is an Australian-born citizen and is a resident of Dunedin situated around 360 km south of Christchurch.

Reportedly, in the courtroom, the suspect appeared in white prison clothes, barefoot and handcuffed, flanked by two police officers, he smirked when media persons photographed him during the hearing and were seen making the white power gesture.

Throughout the hearing, Brenton Tarrant, who had a cut on his upper lip, remained silent and looked at the media persons in the public gallery.

Whereas, NZ PM Jacinda Ardern addressed the media on Friday and said migrants and refugees could have been caught up in the attack.

Brenton Tarrant is accused of murdering a man, whose name was suppressed by Judge Paul Kellar on grounds of undue hardship to his family, according to reports.

It was "reasonable to assume" Brenton Tarrant would face further murder charges, Judge Kellar said. Duty lawyer Richard Peters made it clear during the hearing that no bail application would be made.

New Zealand Police department also tweeted and stated

In the worst ever terror attack in New Zealand, multiple gunmen carried out indiscriminate shootings at two mosques in Christchurch during the Friday prayers, leaving 49 people dead and at least 48 wounded, besides giving a scare to the Bangladesh cricket team which had a narrow escape.

Using automatic weapons, the gunmen, four of who were initially taken into custody, launched a "well-planned" attack on the mosques when devotees had assembled for the weekly prayers.

Earlier today, New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern vowed that gun laws "will change" in the wake of the worst terror attacks in the country's history.

She also confirmed that the suspect was a resident of Dunedin and was not based in Christchurch. She said that investigations were initiated to assess whether the remaining two accused arrested were directly involved in the attack.

ALSO READ:New Zealand: Gun Men Open Fires At Crowded Mosque,Several Dead; Police Says ‘Gunman Still Active’

Jacinda Ardern also confirmed that the fourth person was released.

"The fourth person who was arrested yesterday was a member of the public who was in a possession of a firearm, but with the intention of assisting police," she told reporters in Wellington.

Underlining that the "time has come for change", Jacinda Ardern said that five guns were used by the perpetrator, including two semi-automatic weapons, and two shotguns.

"The offender was in possession of a gun license," she said, adding that the guns were purchased in December last year.

"While work is being done as to the chain of events that lead to both the holding of this gun license and the possession of these weapons, I can tell you one thing right now; our gun laws will change," the New Zealand premier outlined.

The Prime Minister stated that none of the accused arrested had a criminal history both in Australia and New Zealand.

According to the police, 41 people were killed at Al Noor mosque and seven at Linwood mosque while one injured died in a hospital.

Several guns have been recovered from both mosques, while, two explosive devices were found on two vehicles at the scene, one of which was defused, the police confirmed.

Condemning the terror strike, Jacinda Ardern had described it as a terror attack and said it appears to have been well planned. She asserted that New Zealand will not and cannot be shaken by this attack.

kushal kumar

In major worrisome mass shootings at two mosques in Christchurch city , NewZealand on 15 March 2019 , 49 persons are reported to have been killed and over 20 injured. The police have arrested some persons and investigation is continuing. The Govt version is that it was a terrorist attack. Obviously , the tragedy has sent shock waves across the world. In this connection , it is apt to bring out here this Vedic astrology writer’s predictive alert for more care and appropriate strategy through article “ Is war involving vulnerable countries across the world likely in February and March 2019 - A vedic astrology view” brought to public domain last year from 21 to 28 November in 2018. One of the predictive alerts had said that a country whose name begins with letter “ N” may do well to have more care and appropriate strategy during first three months of 2019 , more so in February –March against such worrisome substances or situations as fire , gas , chemical , venom , explosives and the like. It was also added that it may also be alright to keep a watchful eye on social or communal worrisome concerns where vulnerable. One may argue that at least , there are three countries whose name begins with letter “N” . Yes , but then vulnerability factor was also mentioned to zero in. It seems the alert was somewhere indicative.