At least 14 people were killed and 17 others injured in a shooting on Wednesday in San Bernardino City of Southern California, police said.
A man and a woman suspected of carrying out a deadly shooting at a centre for the disabled in the Southern California city of San Bernardino on Wednesday were killed in a shootout with police, while a third person was detained, police said.
Police officials have identified one suspect as Syed Farook, a report said. Another suspect has been identified as Tashfeen Malik.
Reports said that the suspects used .223 calibre assault rifles and semi-automatic guns.
CNN reports that 28-years-old Farooq worked at Inland Regional Center as environmental specialist in the public health division, while as Tasheen Malik, another suspect is believed to be farooq's wife.
According to media reports,police have so far recovered a bag at inland restaurant, containing explosive device rigged to a remote controlled car.
There were several hundred people inside the building when the shooting happened and most of them walked out unhurt.
The identity and motivation of the shooters are still under investigation.
San Bernardino County Sheriff John MacMahon said that as there might be one or more suspects fled by a black SUV, the nearby region are under search and on alert.
"We will do everything to keep public safe," MacMahon said.
Assistant director of FBI David Boudich said that it is still not clear whether the shooting is a terrorist attack or not.
Sgt. Vicki Cervantes, a spokeswoman for the San Bernardino Police Department, said that the suspect or suspects are heavily armed and were wearing ski masks and possibly body armour.
The shooters burst into a conference room where a Christmas party was held and started shooting.
US President Barack Obama was briefed about the shooting by Homeland Securities officials and he called for a bipartisan effort "at every level of government" to address mass shooting problems, local media reported.
(With IANS inputs)