World

30 Afghan Soldiers Killed In Taliban Attack

ANANYA BHATNAGAR | 0
3961
| June 20 , 2018 , 15:21 IST

Taliban militants killed 30 members of the Afghan security forces on Wednesday in an ambush in the western province of Badghis. This is the first major attack after the suspension of the ceasefire which was laid on Eid.

Provincial governor Abdul Qafoor Malikzai in a media briefing said the Taliban had attacked two security posts in the early hours of Wednesday.

Abdul Aziz Bek, head of the Badghis provincial council, told the media that one military base was targeted, in the district of Balamerghab.

Bek said, "Large numbers of Taliban militants came from several directions, after hours of heavy fighting 30 Afghan security forces were killed and the Taliban captured the base. Fifteen Taliban terrorists were killed in other areas of the province overnight.”

He also added that the terrorists prepared their attacks and did reconnaissance of the area during their ceasefire.

Naqibullah Amini, spokesman for the Badghis police while addressing the local media confirmed the death of 30 soldiers and said that the Taliban killed four soldiers in separate attacks on security checkpoints in the same district.

Afghan President had earlier announced a ceasefire with Taliban forces and the announcement was welcomed by the militant group as well. The ceasefire was announced to mark the auspicious occasion of Eid.