Sports

Bangladesh Cricket Team Escapes Christchurch Mosque Shooting, Test Match Cancelled

PRERNA YADAV | 0
3444
| March 15 , 2019 , 17:58 IST

An international cricket match between New Zealand and Bangladesh has been cancelled after players from the visiting team narrowly avoided a mass shooting at a mosque in Christchurch on Friday.

New Zealand Cricket chief executive David White said there had been a “joint decision” to call off the third test, which had been set to start on Saturday in Christchurch.

Most of the Bangladeshi team and staff had arrived at Christchurch's Masjid al Noor mosque for Friday prayers when they were warned not to go inside as the shooting unfolded.

Bangladesh Cricket Board spokesman Jalal Yunus said, “They are safe. But they are mentally shocked. We have asked the team to stay confined in the hotel.”

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced that 40 people were killed in the mass shootings at two Christchurch mosques on Friday, adding that four suspects were in custody.

It was described as “a terrorist attack” by NZ prime minister Jacinda Ardern, and an “extremist, right-wing violent terrorist attack” by Australian prime minister Scott Morrison.

Ardern said, “Many directly affected by this shooting may be migrants to New Zealand, they may even be refugees here...They are us. The person who has perpetuated this violence against us is not.”

Also Read: New Zealand: Gun Men Open Fires At Crowded Mosque,Several Dead; Police Says ‘Gunman Still Active’

The attacker is believed to have live streamed at least one of the attacks on Facebook. Even while the police urged people not to share the “distressing” footage, the 17-minute clip has gone viral on the internet.