National

Surgical Strike Video Goes Viral, Congress Slams Modi For Misusing Army Valour For Political Benefit

NEWS WORLD INDIA | 0
10320
| June 28 , 2018 , 10:38 IST

Nearly two years after the Indian Army conducted surgical strikes in Pakistan occupied Kashmir (PoK) in September 2018, visuals of the operations were shared with media, which have since gone viral.

The Congress party, in a press conference on Thursday, slammed the Prime Minister Narendra Modi-led government for misusing the valour of the army for political benefit by means of the surgical strike video.

"The nation needs to be cautioned that whenever Modi govt starts failing, whenever Amit Shah ji's BJP start losing, they misuse the valour of the Army for their political benefit," said Congress communications in-charge Randeep Surjewala.

"Modi govt is exploiting the slogan of 'Jai Jawan Jai Kisan' and trying to win votes through Surgical Strike. Nation wants to ask them did Atal Bihari Vajpayee and Manmohan Singh boast of the success of Army operations during their tenure, just like them?" Surjewala questioned.

"The ruling party will have to remember that they cannot make the sacrifice of the Army a tool to garner votes for them. It is the soldiers who sacrificed their lives and it is Modi ji who was glorified," he said.

Surjewala also accused the Modi government and the BJP of meting out step motherly treatment to the Armed Forces.

"Doublespeak of Modi Govt and BJP stands is reflected in step motherly treatment of our Armed Forces, both in terms of providing for security apparatus as also in slashing the budgetary allocation. Vice Chief of Army Staff Lt Gen. Sarath Chand was forced to publically state that 68% of all equipment is 'vintage'," he said.

On the intervening night of September 28-29 in 2016, the Army carried out surgical strikes on a total of 7 terror launch pads across the Line of Control (LoC) in PoK, as retribution for the terrorist attack on the Indian Army base in Jammu and Kashmir's Uri on September 18, killing 19 soldiers.

On September 29, 2016, the then DGMO Lt General Ranbir Singh had announced that India had conducted surgical strikes on terror pads along the LoC inflicting 'significant casualties' on the terrorists, but the numbers were not revealed, nor any videos.

Alleged videos of the surgical strike were released on Wednesday night, with TV channels claiming that the videos had been procured from official sources. The videos were reportedly shot by (UAVs) and Thermal Imaging (TI) cameras used by the Army to monitor the operation.