Police Took 3 Hours To Take Alwar Lynching Victim To Health Centre 4 Km Away

| July 23 , 2018 , 10:11 IST

Outrage continues even 2 days after a man in Rajasthan's Alwar was lynched on Friday night over suspicions of being a cow smuggler, as reports on Sunday claimed that police took 3 hours, and a tea break, before taking the victim to a health centre, while the cows were rushed to the 'gau shala'.

It took the police nearly 3 hours from the time they reached the spot of the lynching in the Lalawandi village in Alwar to reach the Ramgarh Community Health Centre (CHC) approximately 4 km hour. The victim, Rakbar alias Akbar was pronounced dead on arrival, with post-mortem reports citing fractured ribs leading to internal bleeding as the cause of death.

ALSO READ: Alwar: Man Thrashed To Death Over Suspicion Of Cow Smuggling

According to reports, Akbar had been transporting cows on foot along with an associate Aslam Khan when they were stopped by villagers in Lalawandi and attacked, although Aslam managed to escape.

Naval Kishore Sharma, the chief of VHP’s Gau Raksha cell in Ramgarh called the police at 12:41 am on Saturday regarding a suspected case of cow smuggling. As per the FIR, the police took Sharma along to the spot where they found Akbar, injured and muddied. The police had Akbar washed, questioned him briefly and took him directly to the CHC where he was declared dead on arrival.

Locals, however, claim that the police picked up Sharma and went to the spot where they collected the victim Akbar, washed him, stopped to have tea, had his clothes changed at the police station and then took him to the Ramgarh CHC.

The two cows on the spot were meanwhile transported on a 3-wheeler to the Sudha Sagar Gaushala cow shelter 11 kms away.

ALSO READ: Mob Lynchings Are A Reaction To PM Modi's Popularity: Union Minister Arjun Ram Meghwal

Local tea seller Lal Chand confirmed to the Indian Express that a police jeep had stopped by but he was not able to see who was in the jeep.

“The police jeep stopped, the driver came out and took four tea cups. The others in the car didn’t get out. I didn’t see who was in the jeep. They went off after drinking tea,” said 47-year-old Chand.

Faced with contradicting reports in the FIR and the claims by the villagers, Alwar SP Rajendra Singh said that all aspects would be covered in the investigation.

“We will cover all aspects in the investigation. If there is any lapse — at any level and by anyone — we will certainly take strict action. We will take the investigation to its logical and correct conclusion,” Singh said.