National

MHADA Holds SBUT Responsible For Mumbai's Bhendi Bazaar Collapse

NEWS WORLD INDIA | 0
2676
| September 1 , 2017 , 16:48 IST

Just as Mumbai was finding its feet back after the heavy rains, building collapse in Bhendi Bazaar has further dampened its spirits. Thirty people are suspected to be trapped under it.

This incident took place on Thursday in the Bhendi Bazaar area of South Mumbai. As per reports, 33 bodies have been found and 13 people have been bailed out after the three-storey building foundered.

Maharashtra Housing and Area Development Authority (MHADA) have passed the buck to Saifee Burhani Upliftment Trust (SBUT) for the deaths.

“We had in 2011 given the NOC for a redevelopment of the building and we had been constantly pursuing the issue. We have all the papers and information with us regarding it,” MHADA chief public relations officer Vaishali Wagh told the local news channels.

According to her, the MHADA had made known the risk of living in the building to both the families and the SBUT. Following the collapse, ambulances, fire brigade vans, and officials from the National Disaster Response Force were disposed.  “Our disaster management cell received a call at 8.40 am about the collapse,” she further added. “We fear that several people are trapped under the debris.”

When asked about how MHADA deals once a building is deemed out of shape, Vaishali said,  technical processes, once we give an NOC for redevelopment, all further responsibilities lie with the developer.”

“Then all further processes and action have to be taken by the developer (SBUT). We had in 2016 given permission to the SBUT to demolish the structure as this building posed a risk.”

ALSO READ: OMG! Mumbai Rains Turn Fatal: Woman Struck By A Falling Tree Dies (WATCH)