Kathua Rape Case: Key Witness Talib Hussain Assaulted In Police Custody, Police Alleges Self Harm

| August 8 , 2018 , 14:02 IST

Talib Hussain, a key witness in the Kathua Rape case, was allegedly assaulted in the police custody on Monday.

The incident came into light after senior advocate and Supreme Court lawyer Indira Jaisingh, on Monday tweeted, “Talib Hussain - who was arrested last week - has been tortured in Samba police station while on police remand, skull broken, rushed to hospital in Samba, he is a key witness in the Kathua gang rape and murder case. This is unacceptable in a democracy.”

Updating the condition, she tweeted on Tuesday, “Talib has been sent back to the same police station in Samba where he was assaulted. Samba hospital did not allow Talib’s relatives to meet him there. Relatives saw him at the police station. Head was bandaged, bleeding.”

Director General of Police Shesh Paul Vaid refuted the claims and said that Hussain hit himself on the head “out of frustration”. Vaid told a media agency that other inmates saw the incident and that there was visual proof. The police official said Hussain had only sustained scratches and was taken back to the Samba Police station.

Why Was Hussain Arrested?

Talib Hussain is social activist who led a campaign against the rape and murder of an eight-year-old girl in the state’s Kathua district in January. He also demanded the apex court to transfer the case out of Kathua, but on the contrary, Hussain was arrested by the Samba police in August for sexually assaulting one of his relatives.

The Samba police has slapped a FIR No 211/2018 under Section 376 RPC, 4/25 Arms Act against him. The arrest was made by a team of Samba Police from Tral area and he. The FIR was filed in the PS Samba by one of the relatives of Talib Hussian.

ALSO READ: Kathua Rape Case: CBI FIles Supplementary Chargesheet, Says Victim Was Overdosed With Sedatives

What is The Kathua Rape & Murder Case

In January this year, an 8-year-old girl who was taking her horses to pasture in Kathua was kidnapped and force-fed sedatives for a period of days while she was gang-raped, before she was brutally murdered and had her head bashed in. The incident came to light months later and shocked the nation.

The Conviction

The Jammu and Kashmir Crime Branch has arrested custodian of a temple where the child was allegedly confined, his son Vishal and his juvenile nephew, two special police officers Deepak Khajuria alias ‘Dipu’ and Surender Verma and friend Parvesh Kumar alias Mannu.

All of them were named in the first charge sheet on April 9. It also arrested head constable Tilak Raj and sub-inspector Anand Dutta, who allegedly took Rs 4 lakh from Ram and destroyed crucial evidence. Raj and Dutta have since been dismissed from service.

Supreme Court Supervision

Earlier this month, the investigation agency informed the Supreme Court that it would be submitting a supplementary charge sheet in the case. The bench, comprising Chief Justice of India Dipak Misra and Justices D Y Chandrachud and Indu Malhotra, had on July 9 given the CBI, eight weeks to file the document.

ALSO READ: Kathua Case: Defence Claims Jihadis Are Behind The Rape

The district and sessions court in Pathankot framed charges of rape and murder against the seven accused in the case on June 8, after the Supreme Court transferred the case from Kathua on a plea of victim’s family. Ram, considered the main accused, is alleged to have plotted the conspiracy with the other accused for kidnapping the girl as part of a strategy to remove the minority nomadic community from the area.