Gurgaon Fortis Overcharged Dengue Victim's Family By 1,737 Percent: NPPA

| December 16 , 2017 , 09:32 IST

The death of 7-year-old Adya after treatment at the Fortis Memorial hospital in Gurgaon, and the astronomical fees the private hospital charged her parents came as a surprise to the nation, when it was revealed that the family was charged for everything from gloves to sugar testing strips.

Although an inquiry by the Health Minister of Haryana Anil Vij found that the hospital overcharged the family significantly, a recent report by the National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA) has confirmed that the Fortis Gurgaon hospital charged 1,208 to 1,737 percent more than procurement price for much of the medical equipment.

During the inquiry, the national pricing body sought copies of all the bills given to the family of Adya for her two-week treatment, as well as names and quantity details of the medicines prescribed to her.

ALSO READ: Fortis Hospital Bills Family Of 7-Year-Old Dengue Victim Rs 18 Lakh For 2,700 Gloves, Syringes

Based on the bills uploaded, the NPPA found that disposable syringes costing Rs 15.29 were charged at Rs 200, and 3-way stop clocks used for infusion and blood pressure monitoring which cost Rs 5.77 were charged at Rs 106, resulting in a profit margin of 1,737 for the hospital. Similarly, pressure monitoring lines costing the hospital Rs 17 were charged at Rs 225, giving the hospital a profit margin of 1,201 percent.

According to the NPPA, the hospital earned the highest profit margins in consumables such as syringes, catheters, IV sets, blood transfusion sets, gloves and masks.

"NPPA will be taking up necessary action as per the existing law, " said an order by the NPPA.

A Class 2 student, Adya was taken to Rockland Hospital in Dwarka after she spiked a high fever on August 27. When tests confirmed that she had dengue and her condition worsened the Rockland Hospital suggested she be transferred to a different hospital, and she was taken to Fortis Gurgaon.

Adya's condition continued to worsen and she was put on life support. The family decided to take her to a different hospital but Fortis refused to provide an ambulance. Adya died on September 14, being shifted to a hospital in an ambulance without life-support equipment. Since dengue is largely curable, the death, and subsequent massive bill issued by the hospital triggered a controversy.

Click here to read the full NPPA report.