National

Ghazipur Madrasa Rape Case: Minor Accused Of Raping 11-Year-Old To Be Tried As Adult

DIVYIA ASTHANA | 0
9118
| May 2 , 2018 , 14:11 IST

The Juvenile Justice Board on Wednesday announced that the 17-year-old main accused in the rape of an 11-year-old girl from Ghazipur in a Madrasa in Ghaziabad last week will be tried as an adult.

The 17-year-old main accused was arrested on April 24 for allegedly abducting and raping the 11-year-old girl inside a madrasa in Sahibabad after the girl's medical examination confirmed rape. He was charged under sections of kidnapping and the POCSO Act and sent to juvenile detention.

ALSO READ: Maharashtra Govt Strips Madrasas Of School Status

According to reports, the 11-year-old had gone to market on April 21 after which she went missing. The girl's father informed the police of her disappearance and a complaint was filed. Around 24 hours after she went missing, the police began their search and using the girl's phone's call detail record (CDR) they traced her to a madrasa in Ghaziabad.

The rape survivor alleged that the accused, who was known to her, had kidnapped her and raped her, and her allegations of rape were medically confirmed. She also alleged the madrasa cleric was involved in the rape.

"He (main accused) forcefully took me to the Madrasa, threatened to kill my family and took my phone. Madrasa owner also threatened me," said the 11-year-old rape survivor to ANI.

Delhi Police spokesperson Dependra Pathak said, "All allegations and circumstances will be taken into account. We are examining all allegations and will act if these are substantiated".

The rape of the 11-year-old girl in the madrasa comes soon after the Union Cabinet and President Ram Nath Kovind approved an ordinance providing stringent punishment to those convicted of raping minors. The ordinance stipulates a death sentence for those convicted of raping minors below the age of 12 years.