Gauri Lankesh Had Noticed Suspicious Men Outside Her House, Reveals Sister Kavitha

News World India | 0
| September 7 , 2017 , 18:34 IST

Days after senior journalist Gauri Lankesh was shot dead outside her Bangaluru house, her sister Kavitha Lankesh has revealed that the late journalist had noticed some suspicious men around her house lately.

In her statement to the police, Kavitha reportedly said that Gauri had safety concerns for her aged mother Indira Lankesh after she spotted the men prying around her house in the suburbs. However, on the suggestion of reporting to the police, Gauri had said she would do so if she notices anything again.

According to sources in the police department, Kavitha said that she had met her sister on Tuesday afternoon at her Gandhi Bazaar office and learned about her demise around 8:26 PM, around the time she was getting home.

According to a media outlet sources, Kavitha in her statement had said, “When she came to RR Nagar (Gauri’s home), she found Gauri's car was parked outside with the gates half opened. When she went inside the compound, she found Gauri's body with empty cartridges next to it."

ALSO READ: Gauri Lankesh Murder: This Is What The CCTV Footage Revealed

Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah had said that Gauri had never complained about any threat despite meeting the police chief on a regular basis.

The police has registered a case under section 302 (murder) of Indian Penal Code.

As a CCTV footage from outside her house surfaced, police commissioner T Suneel Kumar said, "The footage is not very clear. But it shows a man wearing a black helmet following Gauri after she gets down from her car and entering the compound and opened fire at her. We are collecting footage from all CCTV cameras along the stretch between Basavanagudi, from where Gauri left, and Rajarajeshwari Nagar, before she was shot dead."

After a large-scale outcry from the public, the Karnataka government has set up a Special Investigation team to look into the murder. According to officials, around 100 officers are working on the case.