National

Chinese Troops Enter Uttarakhand's Barahoti Amid Sikkim Stand-off

NEWS WORLD INDIA | 0
3113
| July 31 , 2017 , 19:55 IST

As India-China troops continue their standoff on Doklam, the Home Ministry has revealed that last week, some 50 Chinese soldiers had entered almost a kilometre into Uttarakhand's Barahoti province and stayed about two hours before going back.

The incident took place last week on July 25, around 9 AM, when the Chinese troops allegedly entered into Indian land and ordered local cattle herders to leave along with their animals.

While the Indian Army has refused to comment on the incident, an official said that transgressions occur due to different perceptions of the boundary.

Chinese soldiers had been involved in a similar incident last week as well.

The move comes as Indian and Chinese troops are engaged in a stand-off at Doklam where Indian troops had obstructed the construction of a Chinese road in the disputed region that falls in the India-Bhutan-China tri junction.

ALSO READ: China Can Defeat All Invading Armies, Says President Jinping On PLA's 90th Anniversary

Both sides have reinforced troops and are maintaining positions along the border, with no sign of withdrawing soon.

External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj said in Parliament on July 20 that while China has been demanding that India withdraw its troops from Doklam for a dialogue to begin, India is for a simultaneous withdrawal by both sides.

National Security Advisor Ajit Doval was recently in Beijing to attend a BRICS security summit on July 27-28, when he held talks with his Chinese counterpart Yang Jiechi on bilateral issues.