National

Bihar Disaster Min Retracts 27 Deaths In Motihari Bus Accident Statement, Says No Casualties

DIVYIA ASTHANA | 0
10604
| May 4 , 2018 , 14:02 IST

In a bizarre change of statement, the Bihar Disaster Management Minister Dinesh Chandra Yadav on Friday retracted his previous statement that 27 people had died in a bus accident in Bihar's Motihari, and said that there were no casualties in the bus accident at all.

A private air-conditioned bus travelling from Muzaffarpur to Delhi skidded off a highway near the Belwa village around 30 km from Motihari on Thursday, fell into a deep pit and caught fire. While 5 people were injured and taken to hospitals for treatment, 27 people were presumed dead, and the death toll was confirmed by the Bihar Disaster Management Minister.

The Bihar Disaster Management Minister Dinesh Chandra Yadav on Friday retracted the 27 person death toll he had earlier announced, claiming to media that his earlier statement was based on 'local reports' and was not confirmed.

A total of 32 passengers had booked seats on the private bus, apart from the driver and a helper, but only 13 passengers were inside the vehicle at the time of the accident since the remaining were to board the bus at Gopalganj.

Even on Thursday there were doubts on the death toll, as East Champaran SP Upendra Kumar Sharma revealed that not a single body was recovered from the spot and no smell of charred flesh could be identified. Muzaffarpur zonal IG Sunil Kumar also said that the bus had been inspected after being pulled out but no human remains were founds inside it.

Despite the uncertainty over the death toll, Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar and Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi expressed condolences on the accident.