India Abroad

Pak Journalist Kidnapped While Pursuing A Jailed Indian's Case, Rescued After 2 Years

| October 21 , 2017 , 11:53 IST

While investigating the case of an engineer of Indian origin who was jailed in Peshawar on espionage charges, A Pakistani journalist named Zeenat Shahzadi was kidnapped two years ago. As per the officials, the 26-year-old reporter of Daily Nai Khaber and Metro News TV channel was finally rescued.

Reportedly, Zeenat was kidnapped by some unidentified men in a populated locality of Lahore on August 19, 2015, on her way to work. It was believed that Shahzadi 'forcibly disappeared' while she was working on Hamid Ansari's case.

Pakistan's Commission of Inquiry on Enforced Disappearances (CIED) Chief Justice (retd, Javed Iqbal informed that Shahzadi was rescued on Thursday night from near the Pakistan-Afghanistan border.

ALSO READ: EXCLUSIVE: Pak Journalist Mehr Tarar Shares Her View On Indo-Pak Relations

Iqbal stated that the tribal groups of Balochistan and Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa provinces helped a lot in her recovery. "Non-state actors and anti-state agencies had abducted her and she has been rescued from their custody," he added.

A human rights activist, Beena Sarwar said, "Zeenat Shahzadi today has been reunited with her family in Lahore and we are happy for her safe recovery. I am thrilled that she is home safe."

Shahzadi's brother Saddam Hussain was miserable after her kidnapping due to which he committed suicide in March last year bringing her case back to headlines. "My sister has not committed any crime in helping an Indian national," Shahzadi's brother, Salman Latif said.

Though he agreed that, "Helping an Indian prisoner -- Hamid Ansari -- in Pakistan has cost us dearly. My sister is missing and my younger brother (Saddam) who was deeply attached to her hanged himself after losing hope to get reunited with her."

Shahzadi had filed an application two years ago on behalf of the mother of Indian national Hamid Ansari with the Supreme Court's Human Rights Cell to admit that Ansari was in the custody of security agencies in Pakistan.

ALSO READ: I May Be Killed Too, Says Taslima After Twitter War With Mehr Tarar

Ansari who has been missing since November 2012 was arrested for illegally entering Pakistan from Afghanistan to meet an online friend. The Mumbai resident who is still in Jail was sentenced to three years' imprisonment by a military court on charges of 'spying'.

Latif added, "Zeenat received threats from unknown persons who asked her not to pursue the case anymore. We also asked her not to put her life at risk but she said she wanted to help Ansari out of humanity. When she spoke to Ansari's mother she literally cried along with her and vowed to help."

IA Rehman, the Human rights activists and former secretary general Human Rights Commission of Pakistan has advocated that Ansari should be released from Jail as he has already served his sentence.