Entertainment

#Me Too: Music Composer Anu Malik No Longer A Part Of 'Indian Idol 10'

NEWS WORLD INDIA | 0
3376
| October 21 , 2018 , 14:23 IST

Bollywood singer and music composer Anu Malik was asked on Sunday to step down from the jury panel of popular television reality show Indian Idol.

A statement from Sony Entertainment Television (SET) read, "Singer-music composer Anu Malik who has been accused of sexual harassment by multiple women under #MeToo campaign is no longer a part of the singing reality show Indian Idol 10.

It was Singer Sona Mohapatra who was the first one to accuse Anu Malik.

Last week, Shweta Pandit took to his twitter account and recounted her #MeToo story in an incident which dates back to 2000. She alleged that once in a cabin at a studio, Anu Malik told her he would give her a song with Sunidhi Chauhan and Shaan "but first give me a kiss now". She also called him a "pedophile" and "sexual predator."

ALSO READ: #Me Too: Shweta Pandit Accuses Anu Malik Of Sexually Harassing Her When She Was 15

There have been two more anonymous women aspiring singers also levelled similar allegations against him recently.

However, Anu Malik has denied the allegations that he sexually harassed Shweta Pandit. Lyricist Sameer Anjaan also defended him and tweeted that no such incident took place.

According to a report in Mid-day, New York-based producer Danica D'Souza told that she knew of at least two women who had similar experiences with Anu Malik when she was an assistant producer with FreemantleMedia India on Indian Idol 5.

Danica recalled her story, "This incident occurred in Kolkata. One of our colleagues from the production crew was travelling with a cameraman and Malik in a car to get sound bites. When she returned, she looked traumatised and told us of the unfortunate incident. She said once they had wrapped up their work, Malik touched her thigh in the car and felt her up. She was startled. The cameraman, who was sitting in the front seat, wasn't aware of what was going on behind him."

He would refer to her as darling, baby and sweety, which made her uncomfortable.

"They are well aware of his behaviour with women. I don't know why they are still quiet. I hope the channel and production house take a stand against Anu Malik.",  she further added.

Anu Malik's lawyer Zulfiquar Memon also reported to IANS, " "The allegations made against my client are emphatically denied as completely false and baseless. My client respects the #MeToo Movement but to use this movement to start a character assassination mission is obnoxious."