Amid Family Dispute, Jasprit Bumrah's Grief-Stricken Grandfather Commits Suicide

News World India | 0
| December 10 , 2017 , 18:05 IST

Indian cricket team's star player Jasprit Bumrah who recently returned to the national team for playing ODI series against Sri Lanka was in for the shock of his life on Sunday. While he was playing the 1st ODI in Dharamsala, his grandfather Santok Singh Bumrah was found dead in Ahmedabad.

The body of Bumrah's 84-year-old grandfather was fished out from the Sabarmati river, where he has allegedly committed suicide. His death was confirmed by the Ahmedabad Fire and Emergency Services (AFES). Santok's missing report was filed by his daughter, Rajinder Kaur on Friday.

Police Inspector Jayantilala Brahmbhatt of Vastrapur Police Station confirmed, " Bumrah's 84-year-old grandfather was missing since Friday and the complaint was made by his daughter (Rajinder Kaur) and we were investigating the complaint and found this suicide case."

He further revealed, " Before leaving his daughter's house, the old-aged man told his daughter that he was not allowed to meet his grandson (Jasprit) and would end his life. The grandfather spent one night in Gurudwara and then jumped in the river-front (East) side of Sabarmati river."

ALSO READ: Sran, Bumrah restrict Zimbabwe to 99/9 in second T20I

Santok was apparently not allowed to meet or talk to Bumrah by the player's mother when he expressed the desire to reconcile with his family after 17 years. Grief-stricken with the refusal, he decided to end his life.

The complaint filed by Rajinder Kaur read, " He expressed a wish to meet his grandson on his birthday on December 5. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to meet Jasprit. On December 8, Santokh called his son Balvinder Singh, who lives in Jharkhand, and told him that he was leaving to meet his deceased wife."

Santok's daughter complaint, " When we went to meet Jasprit's mother Daljit Kaur at a city school where she is a teacher, she refused to allow my father any contact with Jasprit. She even refused to share her son's phone number so that father could talk to him. My father was grief-stricken by this. He left home on Friday afternoon and never returned."

After the death of Jasprit’s father, Santok sold his business and moved to Ahmedabad leaving his mother to cater to the cricketer's needs. He later started making a living by driving a tempo but his incomplete desire to meet his grandson after years drove the old man to death.