Business

Lance Armstrong Reaches $5 Million Settlement With US Govt Over Doping Violation

NEWS WORLD INDIA | 0
4090
| April 20 , 2018 , 16:27 IST

Cyclist Lance Armstrong has agreed to pay $5 million in a settlement case with the US Government stemming from his drug-fuelled reign as king of the Tour de France, it was confirmed on Thursday.

The former cycling superstar was due to face a trial next month over claims he defrauded the US government when he doped while racing for his the United States Postal Service-sponsored team.

The Postal Service and former teammate Floyd Landis demanded $100 million in damages previously from Armstrong in the case whose trial was due to start on May 7.

"No one is above the law," US Justice Department lawyer Chad Readler said in a statement announcing the deal. "This settlement demonstrates that those who cheat the government will be held accountable."

ALSO READ: International Olympic Committee Lifts Doping Ban From Russia

"I am glad to resolve this case and move forward with my life," Armstrong, 46, said in a statement.

"I'm looking forward to devoting myself to the many great things in my life – my five kids, my wife, my podcast, several exciting writing and film projects, my work as a cancer survivor, and my passion for sports and competition. There is a lot to look forward to."

Although rumours of drug use swirled around Armstrong throughout his career, he never failed a test.

However, his reputation imploded when the United States Anti-Doping Agency wrapped up an investigation which concluded he had been at the heart of a sophisticated doping program throughout his career.

Armstrong later confessed to using performance-enhancing drugs and was banned from all competitions for life and stripped of his seven Tour titles.