Business

JSPL Wins Indian Railways Rs 2500 Cr Global Tender To Supply Long Rails

NEWS WORLD INDIA | 0
6185
| July 31 , 2018 , 17:07 IST

Jindal Steel and Power Limited has bagged the Indian Railways global tender to supply long rails to Indian Railways as per reports. Until now all the ‘long rail’ requirement of Indian railways was fulfilled by the state-owned Steel Authority of India Limited. Speaking to News World India, a JSPL spokesperson confirmed the development.

Indian Railways had invited global tender as SAIL expressed inability to supply the required amount of rails. SAIL will now provide 80 percent of the 487,000 tonnes of rails needed by the Indian Railways while JSPL will supply the remaining 20 percent.

JSPL CEO, NA Ansari said. “It is indeed a historic moment for JSPL to bag this prestigious order through a global tender which saw participation from world’s top manufacturers of Rails. This is just the beginning and we are confident to emerge as a long-term partner for Indian Railways for building and modernizing Nations railroad network. JSPL is fully geared up to commence faster deliveries so as to assist Indian Railways in rapid deployment of planned rail track rollout."

Apart from JSPL, Sumitomo Corp, East Metals AG, CRM Hong Kong and others had bid for the contract that ends SAIL’s monopoly and reaches out to the private sector for the first time in decades.

JSPL is the sole private manufacturer of long rails in India and has already been exporting rails to countries in Asia and Europe. It manufactures the world’s longest track rails. Its Raigarh plant produces 121 metres long rail tracks and factory welds them upto 480 metres.

As per JSPL, “Long rails from JSPL help in achieving a drastic reduction in the welded joints, providing enhanced safety, cost reduction and travel comfort.”

The company also manufacturers ‘head-hardened rails’ used for metro and high-speed rails and is the sole manufacturer in India.