World

Suicide Bombers And Gunmen Launch Coordinated Attacks On Kabul Police Stations

DIVYIA ASTHANA | 0
2277
| May 9 , 2018 , 15:22 IST

Suicide bombers and gunmen on Wednesday launched an apparent coordinated attack on two police stations in Kabul. No death toll has been reported so far.

The first attack took place when a suicide bomber blew himself up outside a police station in the west of Kabul, triggering a gunfight between the terrorists and officers, interior ministry spokesman Najib Danish said to AFP.

The second attack took place in central Kabul outside the police precinct 10 in Shar-e-Naw, and two attackers trying to enter the police compound were shot dead.

ALSO READ: Suicide Bomber Hits Kabul Police Academy, Kills 20 Recruits

"Two wounded people have been brought to Kabul hospitals from the site of second explosion in Shar-e-Naw," health ministry spokesman Waheed Majroh said.

There has been no immediate claim of responsibility for the attacks that took place on Wednesday, barely a week after twin blasts in Kabul killed 25 people which was claimed by ISIS.  

The Taliban militant group on Wednesday formally announced the start of its annual spring offensive, dismissing offers of peace talks by Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani. The militant group specified that its 'primary target' are the US forces in war-torn Afghanistan.

Announcing their Spring offensive, the Taliban said their campaign was a response to more aggressive US military strategy adopted last year.

“Its primary target will be the American invaders and their intelligence agents. Their internal supporters will be dealt with as a secondary target,” the Taliban said.