World

40 Killed, 30 Injured In Suicide Attack On Kabul Blast, Taliban Denies Involvement

DIVYIA ASTHANA | 0
690
| December 28 , 2017 , 14:45 IST

At least 40 people have been killed and 30 others injured in multiple blasts near the Afghan Voice Agency media outlet and neighbouring Shiite cultural centre in Kabul on Thursday, officials said.

Although no group has claimed responsibility for the blasts, the Taliban militant group issued a denial of involvement in the incidents.

Initial reports suggested that the target of the attacks was the media agency 'Afghan Voice Agency' but the Deputy interior ministry spokesman Nasrat Rahimi clarified to AFP that the blasts were actually targeting the Shiite Tebyan cultural centre.

"A ceremony was being held to mark the 38th anniversary of the Soviet invasion in Afghanistan when the explosion went off," he said.

"We have 40 killed, 30 wounded, but this is not the final toll. It might go up," Rahimi said.

He added that the main blast had been followed by two smaller bomb explosions which did not result in casualties.

According to reports, activists had gathered at the Tebyan social and cultural activity centre for an event marking the 38th anniversary of the Soviet invasion in Afghanistan when a suicide bomber detonated his explosives.

In recent months, Kabul has become one of the deadliest places in Afghanistan with the Taliban stepping up their attacks and Islamic State (ISIS) militant group seeking to expand its presence in the war-torn country.

Afghanistan media has been targeted by militants previously as well. An attack on the Afghan broadcaster Shamshad TV in Kabul took place in November, claimed by the ISIS, killing 1 person and leaving 2 dozen others wounded.