No Post Found
More than 60 people overall were killed by suicide bombers in twin blasts at a mosque and a market in northeast Nigeria on Tuesday, bearing the hallmarks of the Boko Haram militant group. The attack came a day after United States President Donald Trump pledged greater support to fight the Islamist militants.
According to reports, the blasts were said to have been carried out by young boys in Mubi, around 200 kms from the Adamawa state capital of Yola. Amidst conflicting reports of fatalities, as is typical in Nigerian attacks, locals pegged the death toll at 68, which is likely to rise further.
Mubi resident Abdullahi Labaran quoted by AFP, said that the first suicide bomber mingled with worshippers gathered for prayers at the mosque at the edge of the market and detonated his explosives “five minutes before the prayer started”.
The second suicide bomber blew himself up amidst the crowd of worshippers, traders and shoppers fleeing from the first explosion.
The Boko Haram Jihadist group is suspected in the twin bombing case, which has killed at least 20,000 in northeast Nigeria since 2009, in its attempt to establish a hardline Islamic state.
Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari during a visit to the United States this week met with President Donald Trump who pledged more support in the fight against the Boko Haram militant group.
Nigeria also secured a $496-million deal for a dozen A-29 Super Tucano light fighter aircrafts, which had earlier been barred by the Obama administration after the Nigerian airforce accidentally bombed a civilian camp for displaced people mistaking it to be militants, resulting in the death of 112.
“These new aircraft will improve Nigeria’s ability to target terrorists and protect civilians,” Trump told a joint news conference with Buhari in Washington.
Meanwhile, the US military officials in Abuja have also questioned the Nigerian tactics in the face of the guerrilla tactics used by the Boko Haram militants.