World

Japan Backs India On Doklam Standoff, Says Status Quo Should Not Be Changed By Force

न्यूज़ वर्ल्ड इंडिया | 0
1090
| August 18 , 2017 , 13:29 IST

As the standoff at the Sikkim border continues in the contested Doklam plateau near the tri-junction border of India, Bhutan, and China, Japan has weighed in on the matter, supporting India saying that there should be no attempt to change the status quo on the ground using force.

Japan's statement comes in the wake of repeated threats published in Chinese media of 'military consequences' if India does not withdraw its troops from Doklam which China claims is its land.

The statement from Japan endorses India's position that China violated agreements with India and Bhutan when it attempted to build a road through the Doklam plateau which is claimed to be a part of Bhutan.

ALSO READ: Defence Ministry Seeks Rs 20,000 Crore 'Urgent' Additional Funds Amidst Doklam Standoff

Revealing that Japan was monitoring the situation closely, Japanese ambassador Kenji Hiramatsu said that the standoff had the potential to affect regional stability.

"As far as India's role is concerned, we understand that India is involved in this incident based on bilateral agreements with Bhutan. External affairs minister Sushma Swaraj has made it clear that India would continue to engage with dialogue through diplomatic channels with China to find a mutually acceptable solution. We consider this attitude towards peaceful resolution important," Hiramatsu said.

Identifying the standoff as a dispute between China and Bhutan, Hiramatsu said that India's actions were in keeping with the bilateral security arrangements the nation has with Bhutan.

ALSO READ: Sikkim Standoff: Indian Army Ready For A Long Haul At Dokalam

Referring to China's veiled threats of military action, the Japanese ambassador said, "What's important in disputed areas is that all parties involved do not resort to unilateral attempts to change the status quo by force, and resolve the dispute in a peaceful manner."

Previously, US also spoke on the India-China standoff at the Sikkim border, encouraging the nations to hold a direct dialogue.

US state department spokesperson Heather Nauert on Wednesday said, "We are encouraging both parties to sit down and have direct dialogue."

Earlier on August 11 as well, the US had called for talks, adding the standoff was being watched closely. "As you know, we have relationships with both governments. We encourage both parties to have conversations," it said.