Saudi authorities said late Saturday that Islam's annual hajj pilgrimage won't be affected by Friday's crane collapse that killed 107 and injured 238 pilgrims at Mecca (Makkah) Grand Mosque, the media reported.
Prince Khalid Al Faisal, the Mecca governor and head of the central hajj committee, has ordered renovations of all damages that were caused by the deadly incident, local news channel Al Arabiya reported.
The crane collapsed when working on the expansion operations at the mosque, which aims to accommodate the ever-increasing number of pilgrims from all over the world, Xinhua news agency reported.
An investigative committee has "immediately and urgently" begun searching for the cause of the collapse, the official Saudi Press Agency said.
It said more than 909,000 pilgrims had arrived in Mecca for this year's hajj, expected to start on September 21.
Two Indian women Haj pilgrims were killed and 19 others injured when a massive construction crane crashed into Mecca’s Grand Mosque
, officials said on Saturday.
Among the injured are three each from Maharashtra, Telangana, UP and MP, two each from Delhi and West Bengal, and one each from Punjab, Bihar and Assam, it added.
ALSO READ: Two Indians Among 107 Killed As Crane Falls On Saudi’s Grand Mosque In Mecca
External Affairs Ministry Spokesperson Vikas Swarup said the officials from the Indian Consulate in Jeddah have been on the ground and have set up a 24X7 helpline to provide information and assistance.
At least 107 people were killed when the crane toppled over at Mecca’s Grand Mosque on Friday, Saudi Arabia’s Civil Defence authority said, less than two weeks before Islam’s annual haj pilgrimage.
Following is the list of dead/injured Indian Haj pilgrims in the Mecca Mosque accident issued by the Indian Consulate in Saudi Arabia.
1. Moniza Ahmed from West Bengal
2. Muameena Ismail from Kerala
1. Md Rafique Sheikh from Maharashtra
2. Yasmeen Bee Sheikh from Maharashtra
3. Ghulam Sarwar from Punjab
4. Abdul Aziz from Madhya Pradesh
5. Anwar Neyaz from Uttar Pradesh
6. Mujeeb Shaik from Telangana
7. Abdul Salam Osmani from Assam
8. Farhana Parween from Bihar
9. Md Hasan Ali from West Bengal
10. Sabira Begum Ansari from Delhi
11. Tawassul Husain Ansari from Delhi
12. Akbarun from Uttar Pradesh
13. Naushad Anjum Ansari from Maharashtra
14. Azaz Noor Khan from Uttar Pradesh
15. SK Liyakat Hossain from West Bengal
16. Safar Bee from Telangana
17. Mohammed Yonous from Telangana
18. Abdul Majid Rahman from Madhya Pradesh
19. Jaleelur Rahman Madhya from Pradesh.
The helpline numbers posted by the MEA: 24*7 Mission helpline no: 00966125458000, 00966125496000 Toll free number for pilgrims in Kingdom: 8002477786