World

Girls In Nigeria Abducted Again

NEWS WORLD INDIA | 0
1535
| February 23 , 2018 , 10:14 IST

Dapchi, a town about 275km from Chibok in northeast Nigeria, came under attack on Monday, causing the disappearance of about 50 girl students, none of whom have been found yet.

Suspected militants of the Nigeria-based jihadist group Boko Haram are allegedly the perpetrators of this attack.

However, there has been utter confusion regarding the status of the situation, with conflicting statements being made by the authorities.

ALSO READ: Scores Feared Killed In Nigeria's Market Attack

First, the locals living near the school said that many of the girls who had fled had been found hiding in surrounding villages. The local authorities too initially said the girls had not been abducted and instead were all hiding in the bush after fleeing the attack. Then, three days after the attack local officials accepted that indeed there had been an abduction and mistakenly announced that some of the students had been rescued. But later the officials apologized to parents for making the wrong announcement.

Further to the misinformation by the authorities, it is also still unclear exactly how many girls are missing.Parents originally said that around 100 children were thought to be missing, but officials placed the figure much lower at around 50. In the meantime a news agency quoted parents and a government official as saying two girls had died, 76 had been rescued and at least 13 were still missing.

There are woeful similarities between the recent attack and the 2014 Chibok abduction of 270 school girls by Boko Haram. At that time, the military and the government initially denied the kidnappings, following which they provided misinformation and unclarity about the situation.