World

Accused Of Assault By 4 Women, New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman Resigns

DIVYIA ASTHANA | 0
1918
| May 8 , 2018 , 10:47 IST

New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, who had been a vocal proponent of the #MeToo movement against sexual harassment, resigned from his position on Tuesday after reports of him assaulting 4 women came to light.

"It's been my great honor and privilege to serve as Attorney General for the people of the State of New York. In the last several hours, serious allegations, which I strongly contest, have been made against me," Schneiderman said in a statement quoted by CNN.

"While these allegations are unrelated to my professional conduct or the operations of the office, they will effectively prevent me from leading the office's work at this critical time. I, therefore, resign my office, effective at the close of business on May 8, 2018," he added.

ALSO READ: Riding High On Her Successful Career, Pop Star Jennifer Lopez Recalls Her #MeToo Moment

The resignation came barely hours after The New Yorker published its report, quoting 4 women who alleged that Schneiderman physically assaulted them while they were romantically involved with him.

Two of the women speaking on the record to The New Yorker, Michelle Manning Barish and Tanya Selvaratnam admitted that they were romantically involved with Schneiderman but that the violence was nonconsensual.

According to the women, the New York AG had hit and choked them, as a result of which they had to seek medical attention. Selvaratnam alleged that Schneiderman threatened to tap her phone among other threats.

ALSO READ: Sexual Harassment Cases Highest In Delhi Colleges: Smriti Irani

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo called for Schneiderman's resignation on Monday, after the report came to light.

"No one is above the law, including New York's top legal officer," Cuomo said in a statement.

After Schneiderman's resignation, the Manhattan District Attorney's office said they had opened an investigation into the allegations made against him.

Schneiderman, who had supported the #MeToo movement and brought legal action in New York against film producer Harvey Weinstein, defended himself in the assault case by claiming it was consensual.

"In the privacy of intimate relationships, I have engaged in role-playing and other consensual sexual activity.  I have not assaulted anyone. I have never engaged in non-consensual sex, which is a line I would not cross," Schneiderman said in a statement.