Atleast 27 people have been killed and more than 160 injured after fire and explosion ripped through a nightclub in the centre of Bucharest on Late Friday.
According to the reports, the incident happened in Colectiv nightclub where almost 300-400 people were partying at the time of incident.
Eyewitness speaking to Romanian media said that a pyrotechnic display around the stage set fire to nearby objects and then there was a big explosion. The witness said firefighters were on the scene less than five minutes later.
“There was a stampede of people running out of the club,” foreign media reported.
Media reported that many of the wounded were suffering from leg injuries after being trampled in a stampede and smoke inhalation, according to health authorities.
"People could not get out of the club because there was only one exit open and the stampede happened immediately," he told online news portal Hotnews.
Several media outlets reported that a second exit was closed when the blaze broke out.
The interior ministry said 27 people had died so far, most of them teenagers, while more than 160 injured people were being treated in several hospitals in the capital.
Interior Minister Gabriel Oprea said a meeting had been called of a national emergency committee, which would include representatives from across the government.
President Klaus Iohannis said he was "shocked" by the incident, adding that he was in "deep pain following the tragedy that took place this evening in the centre of the capital".