National

300 School Children Fall Ill Due To Inhaling Toxic Fumes In Shamli

NEWS WORLD INDIA | 0
3810
| October 10 , 2017 , 16:18 IST

On Tuesday, around 300 Children fell ill due to inhaling the smoke of chemical wastage from a sugar mill near their school in Shamli, Uttar Pradesh. Immediately after the incident took place at Saraswati Shishu Mandir school, all the students were taken to the nearest government hospital for medical help.

More than 30-35 children are believed to be in dangerous condition, even some of them have been referred to the bigger hospital in Meerut. "Between 30 and 35 children are in a serious condition, 15 have been referred to Meerut," said Surjeet Singh, a senior district official.

The students are suffering breathlessness, nausea, stomach ache, giddiness and a burning in their eyes. But the doctor's say none of the other children's are seriously affected.

ALSO READ: School Children In Age Group Of 7-13 Years Run Risk Of Backaches & Hunchbacks!

The parents said that the sugar factory's wastage dump site is not far from the school. On Tuesday morning factory workers burned the wastage, which caused toxic fumes.

At first, the teachers noticed the illness among children due to toxic gas and took them to hospital. 

The incident has created a situation of panic among parents and teachers and the parents have started a protest against the sugar factory as it is a matter of their children's lives.