Nirbhaya's Father: She Would Have Turned 28 On May 10 If She Had Lived

News World India | 0
| } May 6 , 2017 , 08:07 IST
[caption id="attachment_261086" align="aligncenter" width="700"]Badri nath Singh Badri nath Singh[/caption] "I will sleep peacefully tonight," he said, as the Supreme Court upheld the death sentence awarded to four convicts in the case. ALSO READ: Death For All 4 Nirbhaya Rapists As Supreme Court Remains Firm On It’s Decision Their daughter, too, will now rest in peace, Mr Singh, and his wife Asha Devi, told Press Trust of India after the judgment. "She would have turned 28 on May 10 if she had lived. Today's verdict is a gift for her," Mr Singh said. ALSO READ: Nirbhaya Gang-Rape Case Timeline: Know How The Events Unfolded He, however, rued the delay that the courts had taken in delivering justice, and wondered about the fate of other rape victims. "What about justice for others whose cases are pending in courts," Mr Singh asked. But the Supreme Court verdict, he added, would give a boost to rape survivors seeking justice. The parents, who have started a "Nirbhaya Jyoti Trust" to help rape victims, also stressed that their daughter should be identified by her name. Sections of the media have called her Nirbhaya, as the law prohibits naming a rape victim. "Those who commit such crimes should hang their heads, not us," Mr Singh said. Speaking about the last five years, Asha Devi said there was "not a moment" when she had not remembered her daughter. ALSO READ: Finally, Justice For Nirbhaya: Twitterati Are Proud "At times I would feel weak, wanting to give up the fight. But then my daughter's face would flash in front of my eyes and I would pull myself up," Asha Devi, who was present in the packed court room when the verdict was pronounced, said. The 23-year-old physiotherapy intern was raped and assaulted by five men and a juvenile in a moving bus on December 16, 2012. The accused then threw her and her male companion out of the vehicle. The woman died of intestinal injuries two weeks later in a Singapore hospital, where she been taken for specialized treatment.